Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is HERBATINT™?
2) Tell me about Phenylenediamines, or PPD’s as they are frequently called.
3) Does HERBATINT™ contain Phenylenediamines?
4) Will HERBATINT™ cover my grey?
5) I don’t want to use a permanent colour because I don’t like to see an obvious re-growth.
6) Why should I use Normalising Shampoo and Royal Cream Conditioner?
7) I have had chemotherapy treatment and would like to colour my hair.
8) I am pregnant and I have been told that permanent hair colours can be potentially dangerous for my unborn child.
9) Can I use HERBATINT™ on my beard?
10) I have had allergic reactions to ammonia tints in the past; will I react to HERBATINT™?
11) What is VEGETAL™ colour?
12) Will VEGETAL™ cover my Grey?
13) Can I change my hair colour with VEGETAL™ Colour?
14) Is there a technical helpline?
1. What is HERBATINT™?
HERBATINT™ is a permanent hair colourant gel with a natural herbal base that contains NO AMMONIA, but will cover grey 100% and can lighten you hair up to 2 shades.
2. Tell me about Phenylenediamines, or PPD’s as they are frequently called.
Phenylenediamines (PPD’s) are chemically synthesised ingredients and are the colour pigments used to alter your hair’s natural shade. It has been suggested through research that PPD’s are ‘potentially’ carcinogenic, i.e. cancer-causing agents. However, there is no evidence linking the use of hair colourants containing PPDs with cancer in humans.
However a small percentage of people develop an allergy to permanent hair colour pigments. This can result in a serious reaction. If you have been diagnosed as having an allergy to:
p-phenylenediamine (PPD or Para Dyes)
you should not use ANY Permanent Hair Colour.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the allergy can unfortunately arise at any point, irrespective of how long you have been colouring your hair. In light of this we strongly recommend that everyone follows the manufacturer’s advice and do a skin test before EVERY application of permanent hair colour.
3. Does HERBATINT™ contain Phenylenediamines (PPD’s)?
Like all permanent hair colour products Herbatint™ does contain PPD’s, which are the only type of pigments that will fix in the hair shaft.
4. Will HERBATINT™ cover my grey?
HERBATINT™ covers grey 100% on its first application. If you are 20% grey or more remember to mix your chosen fashion shade (gold, copper or mahogany) with the appropriate number from the natural series. For instance target shade 6D (Dark golden blonde) with 6N (Dark blonde). For 30% grey mix 1/3 6N with 2/3 6D. For 50% grey, or more mix ½ 6N with ½ 6D. Some grey hair can be particularly resistant. Here are some hairdresser tips:
1. Having applied the tint gently massage the root hair for about 5 minutes concentrating on the hairline, parting and temple areas.
2. Mix 10ml of colour with 10ml of developer and apply to the obvious grey roots. Leave this for 20 minutes and then apply your colour, as usual, over the top and commence as normal.
3. Apply colour to root area and using a hand-held dryer gently warm the most resistant areas for about 5 minutes.
5. I don’t want to use a permanent colour because I don’t like to see an obvious re-growth.
HERBATINT™ can be mixed and used like a tone on tone colour that will gradually fade over 16-20 shampoos resulting in less obvious root re-growth. Mix, for example, 30mls of HERBATINT™ with 15ml of Glycol developer and 15ml of Normalising Shampoo. Apply to pre-shampooed, towel-dried hair and develop for 20-25 minutes or see our section How to apply Herbatint as a semi permanent hair colour.
6. Why should I use Herbatint Normalising Shampoo and Royal Cream Regenerating Conditioner?
Unlike the ammonia-based colourants HERBATINT™ works at a low pH which means that we can close the hair cuticles after tinting, by using HERBATINT™’s Normalising Shampoo and Royal Cream Regenerating Conditioner. This will result in colour that will not fade to the extent of ammonia-based colourants. The hair will feel soft and smooth and with the cuticle closed the hair will reflect light and look shinier.
7. I have had chemotherapy treatment and would like to colour my hair.
HERBATINT™ has many customers who have had cancers and have used the colourants quite safely. We never advise that hair colourants are wholly safe to use in any scenario and treatments such as Chemotherapy will manifest in your hair and can affect colour uptake. We recommend you wait 3-6 months after completing treatment before applying a hair colour. Ultimately it is your decision so as and when you do decide to colour your hair so always skin test then strand test before use.
8. I am pregnant and I have been told that permanent hair colours can be potentially dangerous for my unborn child.
Again, as with cancer sufferers HERBATINT™ would not recommend the use of permanent hair colours while pregnant. Ultimately it is your decision so as and when you do decide to colour your hair so always skin test then strand test before use. NO AMMONIA means far less of the product finds its way into the blood system.
9. Can I use HERBATINT™ on my beard?
HERBATINT™ is not recommended for use on facial hair, eyebrows, or eyelashes.
10. I have had allergic reactions to ammonia tints in the past; will I react to HERBATINT™?
In practice, we have found that approximately 85% of people who have reacted in the past DO NOT react to HERBATINT™. With NO AMMONIA present very little of the product penetrates the epidermis and consequently does not enter the blood system. However, you must perform a skin test prior to use
11. What is VEGETAL™ colour?
VEGETAL™ colour is a true temporary colour that lasts 6-8 shampoos. It imports shine and condition to the hair with a hint of colour. VEGETAL™ Colour contains NO AMMONIA, NO PPD, NO PEROXIDE and NO DIAMINOBENZENE.
12. Will VEGETAL™ cover my Grey?
If you are experiencing the first few greys VEGETAL™ will tone these to look like natural lights in your hair. If you are more than 10% grey you need to use HERBATINT™ which can be mixed as a semi permanent colour (link to) and will cover your grey.
13. Can I change my hair colour with VEGETAL™ Colour?
VEGETAL™ Colour will brighten your natural shade, but will not alter it.
14. Is there a technical helpline?
For all technical queries, please contact our UK Freephone Helpline 0800 594 7706. Technical advice is available Monday to Friday between 9.30 and 5.30. Please leave your name and number and brief message if you are unable to get through at these times. We will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.